Saturday, August 8, 2009

Newsy Bits

Sorry it's been a while, I've been a bit lazy lately. I was going to do an exciting theremin build series of posts, but I got my hands on my state income tax refund and it wasn't quite enough. It will buy me college applications though, and that's a whole bunch of adventures waiting to happen. For those not in the know I'm wanting to go back to school for textile engineering. It's a fascinating field and I truly believe that high tech fibers are going to be the next big thing. Also, I wouldn't say no to a job in the fashion industry.

Picked up the first issue of the Doom Patrol relaunch this week. Not only is it Doom Patrol but there's a Metal Men side story in each issue as well! It started out a little slow but I'm going to pick up the next one for sure!

Now, I had a whole host of problems getting my laptop into working order. It's a Toshiba Satellite about six years old and I had stopped using it when I had a hard drive failure a few years ago. I picked up a new hard drive and a power cord to replace the one I lost, but once it was up and running it wouldn't stay on very long. So I had to get some Torx screwdrivers to open up the panel with the CPU and the heatsink (Phillips is good enough for every other panel on the thing) and cleaned it out and put in new thermal grease. In my infinite wisdom I put Ubuntu on it, which is a whole 'nother set of problems, but it's running great now. Unfortunately, no sooner did I get it into shape than the desktop developed a problem. A "won't turn on and smells like burning" problem. I don't have the parts to diagnose it but I suspect it's the power supply. Ah well, at least I have some way of getting my sweet, sweet dose of forums and hilarious videos.

On the gaming front, I resumed my third playthrough of Fatal Frame III, which deserves a post to itself, and realized just how nice it was to have someone in your bed at night after getting molested by the grim specters of sacrifice victims.

No comments: