Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Heroes Con '09 Report Part 2

Saturday:

After the three of us spent the night on a pile of Sumo pillows, an experience like "being in a ditch filled with beans" as Kyle put it, the Editor, Kyle, and I bid each other a tearful adieu and they returned to the crappy podunk towns from whence they came. I hit the con again with Chase and Jason.

We spent most of the time down at the Indie Island and the artist tables. We checked out Guy Davis again who had a stack of the Free Comic Book Day Hellboy, which he signed and gave to each of us. He is such a sweetheart! Chase picked up Comic Book Tattoo from Kelly Sue DeConnick, which actually looks really cool despite my aversion to Tori Amos. She was the nicest lady; she pointed out all the other people at the con who had had a hand in it to get autographs and offered Chase a candy bar when he made a comment about not being able to buy dinner. Dawwww.

We headed out and got some chilly drinks (Charlotte isn't too far from where I live but it's a million times muggier!) and went through our hauls. Chase runs a webcomic which I will plug for him again, Particulates! We talked about getting a table next year and brainstormed some ideas. I figure this gives me about a year to learn to draw and be half as awesome and creative as he is. Then it was nap time, or in my case, devour his Scott Pilgrim collection time.

The evening was passed with pizza, beer, anime, and gossip about my romance problems. We watched Memories, of which I had seen "Magnetic Rose" in high school. The other two segments were definitely not on the same level, but they were both pretty good. He also introduced me to Robot Carnival, which is so amazing that it's going to get its own article later, but go ahead and watch the intro:



Well, that about does it for this year's Heroes Con. I had a great time and hopefully I'll be on the other side of the table next year! Keep feverishly refreshing this page for the low down on all the crap I came home with.

No comments: